Ph.D., University of California, Davis (2010 to 2016)
- Degree: Transportation Technology and Policy
- Focus: Operations Research, Energy Systems Modeling, Econometrics
- Dissertation: Integration of Vehicle Consumer Choice in Energy Systems Models and its Implications for Climate Policy Analysis
M.S., University of Southern California (2003 to 2005) Degree: Civil Engineering
B.S., Anna University, Chennai, India (1999 to 2003) Degree: Civil Engineering
SUMMARY OF SKILLS
- Deep learning: 2+ years experience. Computer vision (image and video analysis), NLP. Tools: Keras, Tensorflow, Pytorch, Spacy, NLTK, OpenCV.
Machine learning, Operations Research and Statistics: 6+ years experience. Linear and Non-linear Optimization, Classification and Regression analysis, Clustering, Analysis of Variance. Tools: R (caret), Python (scikit-learn, pandas, numpy, scipy).
Programming: 8+ years experience.
- Advanced Level: Python (pandas, numpy, scipy, keras, IPython), R, SQL
- Basic Level: Java, SAS, Spark (distributed systems using pyspark),
Spatial Analysis: 7+ years experience. ArcGIS, ArcPy, QGIS, GRASS, PostGIS, PostgreSQL, Leaflet.
Visualization: 8+ years experience. R (ggplot2, lattice, Shiny), Python (matplotlib), Keynote/Powerpoint, HTML, LaTeX.
Consulting: 3+ years experience. Worked with cross-functional teams and various stakeholders to deliver projects on time, prepared several proposals and deliverables.
- Communication: Delivered many professional presentations at academic and non-academic conferences, published research articles and reports, and developed many project proposals.
Member of Research Staff (Data Scientist), Palo Alto Research Center (Xerox PARC), Palo Alto, CA (2017 to Current)
Post-doctoral Researcher, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis, CA (2016 to 2017)
- Developed a spatial consumer segmentation algorithm to analyze different categories of buyers for advanced vehicle technologies (Tools: R, QGIS)
- Developed a framework to integrate a comprehensive energy system model output to an air quality model (Tools: Bash, HDFS)
- Developed a least-cost optimization model for the US energy systems (Tools: GAMS, R)
- Graduate Student Researcher, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis, CA (2010 to 2016)
- Developed a novel methodology to incorporate behavioral elements in long-term energy systems models, focusing on transportation sector
- Worked on developing various policy scenarios such as consumer rebates, infrastructure investments, and feebates to determine the optimal policy options to meet the climate target goals
- Collaborated with the research team in University College Cork, Ireland, to develop a modeling approach and analyze different modal choices of people in Ireland and California
- Assisted in developing the energy systems model specifically to meet the AB 32 goals in CA, and provided various policy pathway reports to California Air Resources Board
- Research Fellow, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, Laxenburg, Austria (Summer 2013)
- Carried out an independent research project for a period of 3 months and successfully integrated vehicle consumer behavior in IIASA’s MESSAGE energy system model for the North American region.
- Engineering Consultant, Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc., Oakland, CA (2007 to 2010)
- Experience in managing a team on a traffic signal design project
- Provided systems engineering technical support at Traffic Management Centers, and developed fiber optic communications design plans
- Experience in wireless communications design projects in ITS applications
- Experience in deployment planning, troubleshooting, programming and calibrating the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) devices
- Developed specifications and construction cost estimates for ITS design
- Experience in street lighting design and lighting design plans using AGI32 software
- Participated in various project meetings with clients, stakeholders, agencies, and design team members.
- Developed GIS maps for ITS device deployment plans
- Experience in writing technical reports and proposals
- Experience in data collection, field work on traffic design projects
- Staff Engineer, Iteris, Inc., Anaheim, CA (2005 to 2007)
- Extensive experience in deployment planning, troubleshooting, programming and calibrating the Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) devices, such as data communications systems, fiber optic equipment, routes/switches, traffic cameras, and traffic control equipment.
- Worked in several Traffic Management Centers (TMCs) in Orange County, and helped set up communications network between ITS devices at the signal intersections to the TMC from scratch
- Developed AutoCAD plans for the traffic signal intersection design
- Developed GIS maps for ITS design projects
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Early Stage Innovation Excellence Award for Augemented Reality Assistant Project, Palo Alto Research Center (Dec 2018)
- Early Stage Innovation Excellence Award for Conversational Agent Design, Palo Alto Research Center (Dec 2017)
- Helene M. Overly Memorial Graduate Scholarship, WTS Sacramento (Jan 2015)
- UCTC Dissertation Fellowship, University of California Transportation Center (Dec 2014)
- Young Scientists Summer Program, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (Jun 2013)
- ITS Davis-Chevron Fellowship, (Feb 2011)
- Sustainable Transportation Center Fellowship, ITS Davis (Sep 2010)
- Outstanding Academic Achievement Award, University of Southern California (Aug 2005)
- C.R. Narayana Rao Endowment, Endowment for having secured highest GPA in I to VI semester of B.E. Civil Engineering (Aug 2002)
Jesse Vig, Kalai Ramea.Comparison of Transfer-Learning Approaches for Response Selection in Multi-Turn Conversations (2019). Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence.
Shiwali Mohan, Kalai Ramea, Bob Price, Matthew Shreve, Hoda Eldardiry, Les Nelson. Building Jarvis - A Learner-Aware Conversational Trainer (2019). Workshop on User-Aware Conversational Agents In conjunction with ACM Intelligent User Interfaces 2019.
Christopher Yang, Saleh Zakerinia, Kalai Ramea, Marshall Miller. Development of Integrated Vehicle and Fuel Scenarios in a National Energy System Model for Low Carbon US Transportation Futures (2018). UC Davis Research Report.
Kalai Ramea, David S Bunch, Christopher Yang, Sonia Yeh, Joan M Ogden. Integration of behavioral effects from vehicle choice models into long-term energy systems optimization models (2018). Energy Economics.
David L McCollum, Charlie Wilson, Michela Bevione, Samuel Carrara, Oreane Y Edelenbosch, Johannes Emmerling, Céline Guivarch, Panagiotis Karkatsoulis, Ilkka Keppo, Volker Krey, Zhenhong Lin, Eoin Ó Broin, Leonidas Paroussos, Hazel Pettifor, Kalai Ramea, Keywan Riahi, Fuminori Sano, Baltazar Solano Rodriguez, Detlef P van Vuuren. Interaction of consumer preferences and climate policies in the global transition to low-carbon vehicles (2018). Nature Energy.
Eamonn Mulholland, Jacopo Tattini, Kalai Ramea, Christopher Yang, Brian P.Ó Gallachóir. The cost of electrifying private transport – Evidence from an empirical consumer choice model of Ireland and Denmark (2018). Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment.
Jacopo Tattini, Kalai Ramea, Maurizio Gargiulo, Christopher Yang, Eamonn Mulholland, Sonia Yeh, Kenneth Karlsson. Improving the representation of modal choice into bottom-up optimization energy system models–The MoCho-TIMES model (2018). Applied Energy.
Kalai Ramea. Creating Intricate Art with Neural Style Transfer (2017). Self-Organizing Conference on Machine Learning.
Jacopo Tattini, Kalai Ramea, Maurizio Gargiulo, Chris Yang, Eamonn Mulholland, Sonia Yeh, Kenneth Karlsson. Improving the representation of modal choice into bottom-up optimization energy system models (2017). wholeSEM Annual Conference 2017.
Chris Yang, Sonia Yeh, Kalai Ramea,Saleh Zakerinia, Alan Jenn, David S. Bunch. Modeling of greenhouse gas reductions options and policies for California to 2050: Analysis and model development using the CA-TIMES model (2016). UC Davis Research Report.
Kalai Ramea, Christopher Yang, Michael Nicholas. Modeling and analyzing near term transitions to alternative fueled vehicles using a spatial regional consumer choice and fueling infrastructure model (2016). EVS 2016 - 29th International Electric Vehicle Symposium.
Kalai Ramea, David S. Bunch, Sonia Yeh, Christopher Yang, Joan M. Ogden. Endogenizing Behavioral Effects and Infrastructure Investments in COCHIN-TIMES model (2016). International Energy Workshop.
David L. McCollum, Charlie Wilson, Hazel Pettifor, Kalai Ramea, Volker Krey, Keywan Riahi, Christoph Bertram, Zhenhong Lin, Oreane Y. Edelenbosch, Sei Fujisawa. Improving the behavioral realism of global integrated assessment models: An application to consumers’ vehicle choices (2016). Transportation Research Part D.
David Bunch, Kalai Ramea, Sonia Yeh, Chris Yang. Incorporating Behavioral Effects from Vehicle Choice Models into Bottom-Up Energy Sector Models (2015). UC Davis Research Report.
Kalai Ramea, David Bunch, Chris Yang, Sonia Yeh. COCHIN-TIMES: Consumer Choice Integration in TIMES and their Implications on Climate Policy Analysis (2015). International BE4 Workshop.
Chris Yang, Sonia Yeh, Saleh Zakerinia, Kalai Ramea, David McCollum. Achieving California's 80% greenhouse gas reduction target in 2050: Technology, policy and scenario analysis using CA-TIMES energy economic systems model (2015). Energy Policy.
Hannah Daly, Kalai Ramea, Alessandro Chiodi, Sonia Yeh, Maurizio Gargiulio, Brian O Gallachoir. Incorporating travel behaviour and travel time into TIMES energy system models (2014). Applied Energy.
Chris Yang, Sonia Yeh, Kalai Ramea, Saleh Zakerinia, David McCollum, David Bunch, Joan Ogden. Summary for Policymakers: Modeling Optimal Transition Pathways to a Low Carbon Economy in California (2014). UC Davis Research Report.
Kalai Ramea, David McCollum. Integrating Vehicle Consumer Choice into the MESSAGE Integrated Assessment Model: Implications for Energy Efficiency and Advanced Technology (2013). Integrated Assessment Modeling Consortium.
Hannah Daly, Kalai Ramea, Alessandro Chiodi, Sonia Yeh, Maurizio Gargiulo, Brian Ó Gallachóir. Modelling transport modal choice and its impacts on climate mitigation (2012). International Energy Workshop.
Kalai Ramea, Sonia Yeh, Christopher Yang, Joan M. Ogden. Energy-Economic-Environment Model for Policy Analysis in California: Elastic Demand & Sensitivity Analysis in MARKAL/TIMES (2011). International Energy Workshop.
MANUSCRIPTS UNDER REVIEW
- An Integrated Quantitative-Qualitative Study to Assess the Reliability and Monitor the Performance of Hydrogen Fueling Stations (2019). Kalai Ramea
IN THE NEWS
'Humans of Machine Learning: Exploring Computational Creativity with Neural Networks'. https://blog.floydhub.com/humans-of-ml-kalai-ramea/
'Name Droppers: Transportation scholars get a boost'. http://www.davisenterprise.com/features/name-droppers/name-droppers-transportation-scholars-get-a-boost/
'Stories from the Agent-based Modeling MOOC'. https://www.complexityexplorer.org/news/55-stories-from-the-agent-based-modeling-mooc